VOLUNTEER AT FAMILIES FIRST CHILDREN’S MUSEUM!
Volunteers are vital to the success of the museum. By volunteering at Families First Children’s Museum you are helping to provide fun, interactive, and educational exhibits and programs for children and their grownups. Our organization is growing rapidly, and having more volunteers enables us to better serve our community.
HOW DO I FIND THE BEST VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITY FOR ME?
Your skills, interests and talents will be matched with the wide variety of museum needs. There are opportunities to volunteer with the public or behind the scenes. These include:
Museum Guide Interact with visitors. Spark curiosity, explain exhibits, answer questions, assist with daily cleaning and project preparation. We ask for, on average, a two-hour per week commitment. Must love children! If you have kids of your own, you are welcome to bring them in while you volunteer.
Birthday Host Help children celebrate their birthdays at the museum. Set-up and decorate party room, greet and orient party guests, facilitate positive play and interactions, lead theme-based activities, clean up after party. Birthday hosts would work as needed. Birthday parties are generally during our regular hours of operation on weekends.
Helping Hand Help maintain our exhibits: mend costumes, touch-up paint, tighten screws, replace parts, etc. This work would mostly be done after hours. Some work would be done onsite and some could be done at home.
Special Events Want to get involved but can’t commit to a regular time? Ask for a special events opportunity list.
Committees If you have experience in fundraising, development or exhibit design inquire about openings on our committees.
WHO CAN VOLUNTEER? We need volunteers who are:
• Dedicated to Families First Children’s Museum mission: empowering families with parent education and learning through play.
• Committed to providing our guests with the highest standards of visitor service.
• Able to make a minimum time commitment to the museum.
WHAT ARE THE REQUIREMENTS
• Be at least 15 years old.
• Complete application, interview and training.
• Set up a scheduled time to volunteer.
IS THERE A TIME COMMITMENT?
The time commitment you give depends upon your availability, your area of interest, and the position requirements. Volunteers usually give 1-1/2 to 2 hours per shift. Longer shifts are available for those interested.
WHY VOLUNTEER AT THE CHILDREN’S MUSEUM?
• Learn about informal early childhood education and development. Credits may be available for students.
• Earn a free membership after 20 hours of service, keep it for yourself or give it as a gift.
• Receive 10% discount on birthday parties.
Can volunteering lead to paid employment?
Families First Children’s Museum has a very small staff, most of whom part-time. Occasionally a part-time position opens up. Any interested volunteer who has shown him- or herself to be reliable and a good fit for the position will certainly receive positive consideration for employment.